Sunday, February 22, 2009

Twister Hits Camp Riley

May 17, 1943

Dear Mother,

We're still alive and kicking. Much to everyone's surprise and dismay.

I'm still working on that pass. If I get the pass it will be the middle of this week sometime. It will only be five days if I get it, but that's better than nothing at all. If I don't get this pass it will mean that I won't get off until after maneuvers in the desert. When we get out there we will probably wish some of this rain would follow us.

I suppose you read about the cyclones that hit the camp here. None of them hit our side of the fort. All of them hit cavalry center. They destroyed forty-one buildings and hurt two hundred men, some were killed. The men in our barracks stood outside and watched the twister hit a hillside across the river from the camp. There wasn't anything on the hill, luckily.

Has Stubby gotten over his clothes line scare as yet? Bet he wondered what was coming down from the heavens above.

Right now the kitchen help is threatening to through it out if we don't come and get it, so clear the path here we come.
So long.

Love
Kenneth

10 more sticks of wood for the home fires.

No comments:

Post a Comment