Friday, January 23, 2009

Inspections, More Inspections

March 28, 1943

Dear Mother,

Well I got back to camp in good shape. But I think I came back at the wrong time. This past week has been terrible. We have an inspection coming up next Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday by a three star general. This past week has been spent preparing for that inspection. We had to sew chevrons on all our clothes of the evening. It looked like a sewing circle in the barracks for about three nights. During the daytime we polished vehicles till they almost shined. With the officers running around like chickens with their heads off there is no peace for the rest of us until after this coming week. All we can do is be patient and hope things settle down after the big shot leaves.

I've been checking my watch since I got back. Evidently it was accidentally turned up an hour when I wound it at Grandmother's last week. This past week it has kept pretty good time, it looses about a minute a day.

Jimminny, but I'm getting hungry. I just got up a few minutes ago and that means it's almost time for dinner. I've been resting up so I can walk guard Monday night. I won't get sleep then so I'm getting all I can today and tonight. It won't be enough but it'll help some.

Chow-first come first served so here goes me.

Love
Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment