Wednesday, March 11, 2009

In Sunny California - June 16, 1943

June 16, 1943

Dear Mother,

Jimminy but this heat makes a guy lazy. Of course that hike Junior and I took the other day didn't help any while were not used to this weather.

The two of us decided to see how far it was to the mountains from camp, also what was on the other side. About one thirty we took off across the desert, we really clipped off the miles over to the mountains. We figured it was about six miles and we made that in about an hour and a quarter. Then we started climbing. It took about an hour to reach the top. All we could see on the other side was another valley like the one our camp is located in except that there is the Colorado River running through the other valley. Coming back from the mountains seemed lots farther than going over. But we finally made it.

I bet you could use some of this sunshine around your part of the country. I know what they mean when they say sunny California.

If I have any money left I wonder if you could send me about ten to do until the end of the month. I ran a little shorter of cash than I figured on.

I think I'll go take a shower now. Drink hot water and shower in cold water what-a-life.

Love
Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment