Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Coyote On Maneuvers

Sept. 23, 1943

Dear Mother,

We are going right along with maneuvers. At this rate it won't be long before they're over.
Some of the boys have encountered rattle snakes around the bivouac area. Now then you can't hardly find anyone sleeping on the ground. Practically everyone sleeps either on top of a truck or inside one. The four of us on the anti-tank truck still sleep on the ground mostly because there is no place on the truck to sleep.
Last night we had quite a bit of fun. A young coyote and the four of us had a little game of hide and seek. The little thing came right up into camp. Evidently it hadn't had a drink for some time. We put out a pan of water and he came up within three feet of one man to get that water. The man tried to grab the coyote. That little animal really took off. That man thought he moved fast but he was slow compared to the coyote. We never did catch that coyote.
Hay lets don't be talking about food so freely in your letters. Talking about chicken and roast makes my poor mouth water. We haven't had anything but canned "C" rations since we hit this desert. Just when I get so I can eat this food you write about chicken. I'm disappointed in you making me dissatisfied.
These guys are talking so much and so loud I can't think so I'm going to close this letter.

Love
Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment