Monday, July 6, 2009

At Camp in Louisiana October 25, 1943

Oct. 25, 1943

Dear Mother,

I sure wish I had some way of getting a part of these pine trees around here up to the place. I haven't been out of camp far enough to tell how good the trees are out a ways. Those here in camp grow right straight up for about fifty or seventy-five feet. They would really make a swell log house.
Boy they have been putting us through the paces the past few days. We have been out on the parade ground eight hours a day, walking, walking. and walking. In our spare time we go out to the range and run up and down the range. We'll probably be used to that by the time we leave here, from all indications that's about all we're going to do here. Just brush up on infantry stuff. Of course that's not as bad as it sounds because we're not supposed to be here much more than a month. After that we have two months of steady maneuvers. It's a great life if you don't weaken.
That boy that wants to be a flyer will have a lot of that useless stuff before he sees a plane. I think all new men have three months of drill before being sent to flying school. Three months in the infantry is no fun.
So Dave is in New Orleans. If I get a chance I would like to go down and see what kind of girl he picked out to marry. It looks like all the old bunch are about married off. I guess I'll have to start shopping around myself. Don't you think?
Hurry up and get those teeth fixed. I don't want to come home if there is any danger of you not being finished. You might want me to go down with you. I don't like dentists that well.
You are really getting into the social swirl. Do they play poker for pretty good stakes or just for fun? I hope you haven't been getting tight at the parties. If you have I'll speak to you when I get home.
I don't know weather I can find a tall, dark and handsome Sargent with curly hair. We have a tall red headed Sargent if she would like that color. Of course he just had his front teeth pulled, and it looks sort of bare when he grins. Outside of that he's in good shape. Let me know if she wants me to bring him along.
Take care of yourself.

Love
Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment