Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Christmas In New York 1943

Dec 25, 1943

Dear Mother,

Some of my mail finally started catching up with me. I received two letters from you and one from Vanita that were mailed around the first of the month. Each one of them had a half dozen addresses on it.
I also got your letter of the sixteenth. Thanks a lot for the watch. I spoke to the company commander about having it sent here. He said that you would have to take this letter and wrist watch to the post office before you could send it. The letter is to show that I requested the watch and that the request was granted by my company commander.

I don't know weather you got that package I sent from the last post or not. I have the shipping ticket with me if you need it let me know and I'll see about getting it through to you. Unless it is absolutely essential I don't think the censor would pass it because of the camp name on it.
We'll have no more of that peaking at presents before Christmas in the future, or else.
Vanita and Grandma's packages haven't been able to catch up as yet. If I stay here long enough maybe they'll find me here.
Send Granddad's house number so I can thank him for the card. His is about the only address I haven't got.
Christmas was pretty quiet around here. Mostly we sat around the barracks trying to see who could get closest to the stove. We had a nice turkey dinner with all the trimmings. It was a little surprising considering the number of men that are being feed at this one mess hall.
So long for now.

Love
Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment