Thursday, July 9, 2009

Going to Instrument School - Nov. 1943

Nov. 3, 1943

Dear Mother,

What did you do over Halloween? Anything exciting? I didn't even go to town just stayed in camp like a good boy.
From your letter I gather that you went down to the place last weekend. Did it rain on you as per usual or did you have nice weather for a change? What did Millie and Ray think of the place? If I know Ray he probably liked it with the river right there.
Its too bad you couldn't come on down here while you were out driving. Its nice down here this time. Not too hot and not too cold. So far we have only had two light rains. There is usually a heavy dew on each morning and sometimes fog but the sun soon takes care of that.
I'm afraid that furlough idea is out for me. I had one coming to me next week but they transferred me to instrument repair section. Since I didn't know anything about instruments they are sending me to a school here on the post. Now I go to school from six o'clock in the evening until two o'clock in the morning. They day time is mine to sleep or mess around as I see fit. I usually sleep.
Yes the Ninth Armored Division has been messed up. Some men have been added others have been transferred. All in all they have things pretty well messed up.
You are right that box of candy arrived and disappeared in the twinkling of an eye. Now you see it now you don't. It was real good and all the boys thank you and Grandma.
Pay day again today. I'm enclosing ten semolians in this letter. When I get a chance to visit the post office I'll send some more by money order.
It's about time for school to start so I'll have to bring this to a close.

Love
Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment