Saturday, July 25, 2009

Transfered To Texas - Dec. 10, 1943

Dec 10, 1943

Dear Mother,

Hey this must be catching. I just paid a visit to the dentist this morning. They said out it comes so out it came. You should have seen the roots on that tooth. I thought the Dr. was going to break my jaw with all his pulling and twisting. It's a good thing I had him give me another dose with that needle of his.
The complete side of my face feels funny as the devil now. It has pinpoints just like a foot that's been asleep.
I'm sorry I didn't write sooner but things just happened too fast. I got out of maneuvers anyway. They thought they had the last laugh when we went out to the field. Now they know better.
This time I am transferred to Texas. I am stationed at Camp Bowie in the center of Texas. The camp is about a hundred and twenty five miles from Fort Worth. Also about five miles from Brownwood. This seems like a fair camp although it rained practically every day since our arrival. I'm hoping for a change in the near future so I can get out and really see whats here.
Oh yeah! I almost forgot to mention it but I am no longer in the Ninth Armored Division. Nine of us from ordinance got transferred to the Fourth Armored Division here at Camp Bowie, Texas. I don't know yet how well I'm going to like it but there seems to be a swell bunch of fellows here.
I've got some old clothes and other odds and ends here that I'm sending home pretty soon. There just in the way and I never use any of the stuff. Some of it's pretty heavy such as the 37 mm shells I picked up. I'm getting awful tired of playing pack horse every time they decide to move me.

Don't worry if your job is small
And your rewards are few.
Remember that a mighty oak
Was once a nut like you.

Ya gota go ya gota go.

Love
Kenneth

P.S. Don't try to remember all these addresses or you'll go batty for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment