Sunday, November 8, 2009

Thanks For The Letters - July 28, 1944

July 28, 1944

Dear Mother,

I received your letter of May 27 today along with about five others of a little later date.
Thanks for the pictures. I liked that one of you - all dressed up in your uniform and no place to go. A little bit more and Dad would have gotten in that picture with Rosalyn. I hate to mention this in public - but Dad and "you" both are getting a bit on the stout side don't you think. It might be better if you left a few of those sodas for me instead of making a pig of yourself.
If Dad does very much riding in jeeps I don't think he will have much to worry about reducing. Especially if the driving is done by G.I.'s on cross country runs.
I sent sixty-seven dollars home by way of government check a couple days ago. That should make a tidy little sum for us to start out on.
Your cruel to me. Talking about sodas and ice cream. They don't seem to know what ice cream is over here. As a matter of fact there is nothing for the peoples enjoyment over here.
Thanks for thinking about my birthday. To be truthful I can't think of anything I really need. There is no sense asking for something I don't need - Everything I own has to be carried on my back so all excess stuff is out. Now a good quart of scotch would be nice but presents like that are frowned upon for some reason or other. Candy is the only thing that is missing to any great extent - but mail takes so long that most candy isn't fit to eat. Take the car and go out to some nice cool place for dinner on me - and make believe I'm there with you. Dad can even eat a double share for me.

That's all for now.
Loads of Love

Kenneth

No comments:

Post a Comment